Photography Project

A few months ago I decided I would like to try to put together a series of photos about life with a disabled son, the problems that arise and stuff like that. I'm not 100% clear on the brief myself but I thought it will become more apparent as time goes on. Eventually I was thinking I could display these in a gallery setting of some sort, I just need to develop the concept further until I'm happy with it.

I'm only got nine photos so far and I'm not even sure I'll keep all of them but I thought I'd start sharing some of them here.

This is the first photo I took. It's very dark and without context it's probably hard to see what's going on.


This photo was taken at 3:07am. John wakes up most nights and it can be a struggle to settle him back down to sleep. One way I try to do this is just to climb onto his bed, sit him on my knee and cuddle him. Doing it this way I can attempt to stop him throwing his arms and legs round and he settles down again, eventually going back to sleep. However, John is getting big now and has long arms and legs and just getting hold of him can sometimes be a struggle.

To get this photo I already had my camera, tripod and flash ready. I'd done a test set up during the day and knew what was needed on the night. I had everything ready to minimise any delay in dealing with John, after all he's more important than a photo. The night came and as usual John woke up. I quickly set up my camera in position. I order to capture something in the middle of the night I knew I'd need additional light so had my flash ready on it's lowest setting and diffused with a small softbox and bounced it off the wall. I didn't want the flash to bother John at all and this was probably the bare minimum I could get away with in terms of light. I then used my phone as a remote control to shoot the photo. I had John settled so it should've just been a simple case of tap my phone and the camera takes the photo. I set a 10 second delay so I could get my phone out of shot and that's when he got his feet free and started kicking.

This wasn't the easiest shot to get and I don't fancy trying to repeat the process. There are a couple of issues with it but I don't know if that's just me being picky.

I took a few shots while everything was set up and this is the other candidate for the middle of the night shot:


This was taken eight minutes after the other one at 3:15am. John is a lot calmer now and so am I. The focus is better as well. However it doesn't convey any of the struggle shown in the first photo.

In case you're wondering, on this particular night John eventually settled back to sleep and I got back to bed at around 5am. Two hours is about the average length of time I'll be up with him when he wakes up. This morning it was from about 2am to 4am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The school photo scam

The benefits journey pt2